Entrepreneur: one who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of a business or enterprise.
- The N.C. Community College System has an entrepreneurship curriculum available at a number of campuses, and the system's Small Business Centers Network offer classes, workshops and other programs designed to help business owners.
- The Small Business and Technology Development Center, with 18 regional offices around the state, has an entrepreneur-focused Strategy & Organizational Development program and on-line training resources designed to increase the likelihood of business success.
- N.C Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services "The Business Side of the Food Industry" resources.
- N.C. Cooperative Extension, based at the state's two land-grant educational institutions, N.C. A&T State University and N.C. State University, this educational partnership helps people put research-based knowledge to work for economic prosperity, environmental stewardship and an improved quality of life. There are programs in all 100 counties; many offer business and entrepreneurship-related programs.
- The N.C. Rural Center's Institute for Rural Entrepreneurship supports the development of micro, small and medium-size enterprises in rural NC. Project GATE helps dislocated workers explore options for starting their own business.
- N.C. State University's Industrial Extension Service. IES works one-on-one with small and medium-size manufacturers to help them stay competitive, retain jobs, and increase profits.
- The UNC School of Government offers an annual program on Basic Community & Economic Development. The event is held in August.
- The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction offers a variety of career and technical education programs on their Web site.
Entrepreneurship Programs with the UNC System
Other Entrepreneurship & Business Education Resources
There are many private, not-for-profit organizations in North Carolina that serve the business community's need for training and education. Following is a partial list:
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development - Identifies, enables and promotes high-growth, high-impact companies and to accelerate the entrepreneurial culture of the Research Triangle and North Carolina.
- SCORE - "Counselors to America's Small Business", provides free counseling support for start-ups and existing small businesses.
- EntreDotTM - a mentoring organization that is committed to ensuring entrepreneurial success.
- Blue Ridge Entrepreneurial Council - BREC is an entrepreneurial support organization that serves Western North Carolina.
- Mountain BizWorks -in-depth business planning courses, ongoing technical support and advanced training, and small business loans up to $50,000.
- Center for Economic Empowerment & Development - provides resources and advocacy for economic empowerment.
- N.C. Chamber - a not-for-profit membership organization representing the interests of business and industry.
- N.C. Economic Developers Association - statewide association for professional economic developers and their allies in North Carolina.
- N.C. REAL Enterprises - NC REAL is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping bring entrepreneurship and small business creation to North Carolina.
- North Carolina Independent Colleges & Universities - North Carolina has many private colleges and universities that offer entrepreneur and/or business-related courses. View a list of most of those institutions.
- Self-Help Credit Union - Self-Help is a community development lender and real estate developer that works with qualified individuals, organizations and communities traditionally underserved by conventional markets.
- Nussbaum Center for Entrepreneurship - The Nussbaum Center for Entrepreneurship is a private non-profit corporation focused on enhancing economic development in the Greensboro and the surrounding area.
- NC LEAP - The North Carolina Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Project is a public service program of the North Carolina Bar Association.